Sunday, February 7, 2016

Turkey Tetrazzini

Cooking always seems to be a test of my patience.  I want to turn up the heat and have my onions cooked already!  But this is counterproductive to the end goal.  You want tender and translucent not crispy and fried.  Things start to bubble too much, turn down the heat.  Don't think "nah, it'll be fine."  That's when things burn and your special birthday dinner home cooked meal turns into special birthday Chinese take-out.

I blame my lack of patience when cooking on my follow-through issues.  I have awesome ideas and always put in a lot of energy at the start.  It's the seeing it through to the end with that same level of enthusiasm that remains an elusive devil.  Looking around my living room, I count 5 unfinished craft projects.  Some of them are several years old...I am awful! 

With cooking though, you can't really pull the "oh I'm bored, let's move on to something else and then go back to this" excuse.  Probably because you'd end up starving or living on a lot of take-out. Though, maybe you live in an area with a lot of really amazing take-out, so I won't judge.  My downfall?  Less than a mile from my apartment and perfectly situated on the drive home is a grocery store with some of the best prepared foods I have ever eaten.  So, I remind myself, the food I am cooking is worth it.  And, between you and me, this turkey tetrazzini is most certainly worth the effort and the wait.

Turkey Tetrazzini
 
Ingredients:
 
3 c. stock - either chicken or turkey
4c. Cooked turkey
12 oz. sliced mushrooms (I did a combination of white and bella)
1 medium onion - chopped
1/2 c. flour
1 c. frozen chopped broccoli
1 c. frozen carrots
1 c. whole milk
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1/2 c. butter
1 box farfalle noodles - cooked
2 tsp. nutmeg
 
Directions:
 
Cook the farfalle and set aside.  Preheat the oven to 350F.
 
In a 12 inch skillet, melt the butter and saute onions for about 7 minutes (remember the opening rant about tender and translucent).  Add the mushrooms and cook for an additional 10 minutes.  You want the mushrooms to cook down a bit and soften up nicely.


 Add the flour, mixing well to create a paste.  Add the milk then stock, mixing until the paste dissolves completely.  Mix in the sour cream and then simmer until thickened, approximately 15 minutes.  Add the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.  Give it a little test but don't be scared by the nutmeg.  When you add the meat and veggies, it all evens out.  Add the turkey and vegetables.


Broccoli and carrots may seem like a weird addition since peas seem to be everyone else's vegetable of choice.  But, the essential elements to a traditional Tetrazzini are poultry, mushrooms, pasta, and parmesan cheese.  Everything added to that is just bonus points and I selected some tasty and colorful veggies as mine.

Give the sauce another taste to make sure you are happy and add in the pasta.  Now, I used a 12 inch skillet and the sauce did fit.  However....I knew for certain that the pasta would create a massive overload situation, so I added the sauce to the pasta that I had put back into its original pot after I strained it through a colander. 


Mmmmmm, I'm hungry already, but wait!  It gets better.  After you get this all nice and mixed up, place it into a 9 x 13 casserole dish.  At this point, mix the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese together and then sprinkle over the casserole.


Into the oven this guy goes, for 30 minutes.  It's ready when the topping has browned and the sauce is bubbly.


The sauce is wonderfully creamy without being too heavy.  This is a great comfort food for a cold day.  The nutmeg provides a nice addition and works well with all the other flavors.  The mushrooms hold up really well and add a nice hearty feel to the entire dish.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment