Monday, February 1, 2016

Happy Birthday!

I could not let February 1st pass by without a little bit of fanfare. Today marks one year since I decided to start Sundays in the Kitchen and it has been an amazing experience.  I've challenged myself in the kitchen and tried new recipes.  This is something that I always strive to do, but I have enjoyed taking other people on the ride with me.

To commemorate this occasion, we are having cake!  However, this is not any cake.  When I was living in Moldova my host family would make blini, the Russian name for crêpes that are popular in Eastern Europe. On special occasions they would make them, rolling them into tubes with sour cherries inside and then layering with whipped cream. 

Full disclosure - my crêpe recipe is not the same as a traditional blin or blinchik recipe. But it works perfectly and I definitely enjoyed the mental escape, imagining myself back in my host family's kitchen watching everyone prep for a party.

Sour Cherry Blini
 
Ingredients:
 
6 eggs - beaten
1 1/2 c. water
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 jar pitted sour cherries - drained
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp sugar
 
Directions:
 
Beat together the eggs, water, flour, and salt.  Let stand for 5 minutes (you can preheat your cast iron skillet during this time).  In your greased 6 1/2 inch skillet, make crêpes.  Pour just enough batter into the skillet to cover it.  Flip as soon as the batter is set and cook the second size only for a few additional seconds.  Continue until the batter is gone.  You should be able to make about 40.
 
Assembly time!  Line up your crêpes, the sour cherries, and your serving dish.  In a large bowl, whip together the cream and sugar just until soft peaks begin to form.  Add to the assembly line.
 
Take a crêpe, place a few cherries on it, fold into a tube, and place onto the serving dish. 
 
 
 
Repeat until you have your first layer. 
 
 
 
Cover with a bit of whipped cream. 
 
 
Repeat until you have your cake.
 

 
Who's hungry?


No comments:

Post a Comment