Sunday, September 6, 2015

Vegetarian Haggis

Well...I think it's safe to say that Italy has been thoroughly covered and will continue to be covered thanks to my [slight] addiction to cheese and carbs.  I have brought us over to Moldova.  I have even done my own twist on a British baker's twist of a Swedish recipe.  Where next?  Scotland and my take on a vegetarian haggis (no groans please).  Why haggis?  Really...because I can.  Plus, a friend spent some time in Scotland and we had enough discussions involving haggis that my interest was peaked.  Once my interest is peaked it is pretty much a guarantee that I will, eventually, get around to making the respective offender.

If I was being true to Scottish traditional food, I would have made haggis.  But since the USDA and several other agencies would have taken great offense to this, vegetarian haggis it had to be.  I did my research and came across a great article in The Guardian that gave a reason behind each of the various substitutions.  I also made additional changes.  The two most significant changes were molasses instead of treacle (you cannot get treacle in the United States, at least not that I've seen) and beer instead of stock.  Why use beer instead of stock?  Well, if you are asking this question sincerely, let me introduce myself.  Plus, when my friend was in the habit of making haggis, her recipe actually called for scotch.  She chose to use a porter instead.  None of the recipes I found used alcohol but I truly saw no reason not to make the substitution.  Since I wanted a vegetarian meal to pass as a meat dish, the heavier flavor of the porter was actually going to be very helpful.

Now, the result will certainly fool no one.  It is vegetarian haggis baked in a tin not the traditional version steamed in a sheep's stomach.  However, what you do get is a very hearty vegetarian meat(less)loaf.  Do not be put off by the smell while it is cooking on the stove, you will be pleased with the end result.

Vegetarian Haggis








Ingredients:

1/4 c. canned red kidney beans - drained, rinsed, mashed
1/4 c. pearl barley
2 Tbsp butter
1 large onion - chopped
1 large carrot - chopped
1/3 c. portobello mushrooms - chopped
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3/4 c. steel cut oatmeal
3 Tbsp ground peanuts
1½ Tbsp dark molasses
1 c. Porter

Directions:

Boil the barley for about 30 minutes until tender but not completely soft.

Melt half the butter in a saute pan over medium heat and cook the onion until softened, approximately 5 minutes.  Add the carrot and saute, stirring, until both are soft and beginning to brown. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes to soften, adding the spices after a minute or so.



Add the beans, oatmeal, and ground peanuts.  Stir to coat with butter.  Pour in the porter and molasses. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer until the mixture is very thick.  Not going to lie to you, this is where things no longer smell very nice.  Do not despair, it will get better.  My porter of choice for this was Samuel Smith Old Brewery Tadcaster The Famous Taddy Porter.  How could I resist a name like that!?



While everything thickens, preheat the oven to 350F.

Stir in the pearl barley and remaining butter, and grease a meatloaf tin. Give the mixture a little taste test.  If you are satisfied then spoon into the tin, cover and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake for another 30. Leave for five minutes, then turn out and serve.


I realize some of us may not have a lot of faith in Scottish cuisine, but I promise, flavorful and hearty is what you get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment