Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sausage and Potato Quiche

While I was living in Moldova I not only wanted to experience as much of the food and culture as I could but, I also wanted to share mine as well.  I brought presents from home, things that signified the New England area, and I cooked for my family on a number of occasions.  While I may not have any French heritage that I am aware of, one item that was easy for me to bake was quiche.  Easy, because when you have 50 chickens running around your yard, eggs become rather plentiful rather quickly.  It would get to the point where my host father would ask my why I wasn't making them quiche - he had buckets full of eggs everywhere and it was my job to put them to good use!

Quiche is another one of those great recipes to have around because it can be easily adapted to suit your needs and tastes.  You need eggs, cream or milk, and some cheese.  Everything else you add is up to you.  Would you like your quiche jam packed with fillings?  Do not use as many eggs.  Do you want to bite sized for a party?  Split your mixture between cupcake tins.  You can make it with a crust or without.  Regardless of what you put into your quiche or how you shape it, you will come out of the kitchen like a culinary rockstar with an amazing looking meal or party appetizer.


Ingredients:

1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage
3 small potatoes - peeled, cubed, steamed
1 small onion - sliced
3 eggs
1/2 c. cream
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
9 inch pie shell

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375F.  Steam cubed potatoes and set aside.

Heat a small amount of oil in a saute pan over medium heat and add onions.  Saute until they begin to soften, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.  Remove the casings from the sausage links and cut into chunks.  Add to the onions.  Cook until the sausage begins to brown.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together.  Add the cheese and stir together.

Add the potatoes to the pie shell.  Layer the sausage and onions on top.  Pour the egg mixture over it.


Bake in the over for approximately 40 minutes, until the pie is cooked through and the top begins to brown.


This pie should have a wonderful savory taste with a little bite from the Parmesan cheese.  Because Parmesan is naturally salty and the sausage is seasoned I do not add anything extra to this recipe.  Hopefully you will find it as wonderful as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment