Sunday, April 12, 2015

Sarmale

Most of you probably already know this, but in case you have not found that blog yet, I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Moldova.  It was one of the best experiences of my life and food definitely played a part in it.  Special occasions meant I would come home from work to find my bunicii gazde (possibly not spelled correctly in Romanian but my intention is for that to translate to host grandmothers) in the kitchen prepping placinta pans.  Their placinta was the best!  Placinta, translated directly, is pie, but in actuality it encompasses much more.  My host family made it mainly as a sweet bread filled with jam.  It could also be made in a way where the dough is much closer to a Philo and has a savory filling.  Each one I tried was amazing but I will always pick my host grandmothers' over all others.

Another dish that I loved and had the chance to learn to make during my training was sarmale.  Sarmale is a cabbage roll, a traditional dish in that area of the world.  Though, each country and region has its own way of making it.  Because making it can be rather time consuming, you only tend to see it on special occasions.  But, just for you all, I have declared today a special occasion.


Ingredients:

2 c. uncooked rice
4 c. boiling water
1/2 c. distilled white vinegar
30 cabbage leaves - about 1 1/2 heads
1 onion - chopped
1/2 c. ground pork
2 carrots - peeled and grated
1 1/2 c. tomato juice
1/2 c. Parsley
1 Tbsp Dill
Salt and pepper
Sour cream for dipping

Directions:

Boil four cups of water and pour over rice.  Let soak for 30 minutes.

In sauce pot, bring water and vinegar to a boil.  Boil cabbage leaves until pliable.  Depending on the how tight the cabbage leaves are wrapped around themselves you might have to boil the cabbage head whole before even being able to remove the leaves.  When I make this recipe, I pull off as many leaves as I can then boil the head for about 5 minutes, take it out and pull off as many leaves as I can, then boil again, repeating until I have enough leaves. Once you have all the leaves you may need to but them back in the water to make them pliable.  It's a process, but the end product makes it worth it.

Combine onions, pork, carrots, herbs, salt, and pepper.  Add rice and mix thoroughly.


Put 2 to 4 Tbsp of filling into each leaf and roll like a tiny burrito.  Rolling the sarmale is something that takes practice, mine still look awful when I do it.  Thankfully looks do not affect taste!

 
 
Place each roll, seam side down, in a Dutch oven.  I like to pour in a thin layer of the tomato juice before layering the sarmale.


Once all are in, pour the rest of the tomato juice over the rolls.


Cover with a layer of cabbage leaves and then cook in an oven preheated to 350F for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.  Serve with a side of sour cream.


If you do not have a Dutch oven do not despair.  You can cook the rolls on the stove top in a regular sauce pot.  Once you have added the tomato juice place the pot on the burner.  Bring the juice to a boil with high heat and then reduce to a simmer.  Cover the rolls with cabbage leaves and then place on the pot lid.  Cook for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

If you are able to roll the sarmale tight enough you could eat these scrumptious little nuggets with your fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment