Sunday, March 22, 2015

Broccoli Soup

I am writing these posts at the height of an awful New England winter so of course all I can really think about is warm comfort food.  So soup it is!  For me, soup is this amazing substance where everything you need for a meal comes together in a single pot.  On a cold Sunday, you just heat up a bowl and then sit back on the couch with that warm substance with amazing scents resting in your hand, slowly eating while you binge watch your favorite show. 

I also like taking soup to work because it is one of the few things that forces me to take my mind off whatever it is that I am doing.  It's not a sandwich that can be held in one hand while I peck away at an email or read a paper.  If I don't want a mess on my desk I have to concentrate on my food.  My job is not a stressful thing that requires my full attention 24/7, but I am just a natural workaholic.  Lunch is a completely underappreciated meal, so I am grateful for foods that take my mind elsewhere.

Broccoli Soup

1 qt stock (1 quart = 4 cups)
6 c. broccoli (approximately 2 medium sized heads) - chopped
2 potatoes - peeled and diced
6 cipollini onions (pick the 6 largest from the bag)
2 Tbsp butter

First, let's talk cipollini onions.  They come in a bag similar to pearl onions.  My preference for these onions is due to their sweetness and fragrant nature once cooked.  Their higher sugar content may change the overall flavor of your soup so bare that in mind.  If you want a taste that is more traditional, use 1 large yellow onion - chopped.

Now, on to the steps...



In a large saucepan melt butter and saute onion until tender.  Add stock and broccoli.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is tender.  I simmered it for about 20 minutes.


Using a blender or hand mixer, puree until smooth.  Put soup back on the stove and bring up to a boil.  Add the potatoes and cook until tender.  Add salt and pepper to taste.


This soup meets my own personal preference.  I like to be able to sink my teeth into something, which is why I do not cook the potatoes with the broccoli and puree the whole thing.  I even prefer my tomato soup chunky!  Therefore, if you are looking for a soup on the creamier end, add the potatoes sooner and go to town with a blender.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment