Sunday, February 8, 2015

Easter Creations

While my last post had a bit more originality, this post features the results of dessert ideas I snaked, in their entirety, from the wonderful world that is Pinterest.

A few years ago I decided I wanted to make a dessert for Easter dinner.  Now, this was actually a pretty big deal for me.  When it is holiday time I still head to my mom's for multiple days.  So, in my mind, this relieves me from the responsibility of bringing my own dish - I am arriving with my mom, therefore whatever she makes counts for me as well.  This is a total copout.  I'm 34 years old perfectly capable of bringing something even if I am staying at my mother's the night before.  However, no one in the family has called me out so I just go with it.  The last few Easters have been the sole deviation.

The first Easter was a Bunny Butt Cake.



It definitely took hours to prepare but, it was too cute to resist.  Plus, I liked doing something crafty and cooking with my mom.

The second years we did Lemon Meringue Nests.




Why on earth I selected this I will never know.  I hate meringue.  We used to have lemon meringue pie at Poppy's every once in a while.  I would push the meringue right off the pie.  I remember being yelled at for being wasteful.  I did not care.  I refused to eat it.  I do however, remember fully enjoying these nests.  What was really helpful was tracing out the circles for the nests.  Free handing that would have just been ugly.  We used green colored sugar paper as our grass to complete the look.

Last year was cupcakes.



So simple, yet still so fantastic.  I dyed some shredded coconut to make a nest for the jelly beans. For the cupcakes with the peeps, I spread a thin layer of frosting to hold the peep in place and then piped more frosting around it to create the next look.


No comments:

Post a Comment