Sunday, April 24, 2016

White Bean Hash with Eggs

Breakfast is not a very sexy meal.  It's functional.  We wake up and eat eggs or oatmeal.  Sometimes it's cereal or a little fruit and yogurt.  None of these are the most inspiring dishes.  Though, I will give oatmeal and eggs some credit.  They can get pretty fancy.  Ever baked an egg inside an avocado?  Fancy.  But, in general, we eat breakfast to get our day started right and we go for as much bang for as little effort as possible. 

For the few times we might want a little more effort put into our breakfast, but not necessarily wanting to do it ourselves, there is the diner.  I love going to diners for breakfast.  I want pancakes. I want oversized omelets with a ton of ingredients.  I want eggs benedict over an English muffin. I want home fries. I want corned beef hash.  Hmmm.  I seem to want a lot of things, but everything always tastes so good at the diner!

The hash thing is something I've only recently come around to.  The idea of hash - random things thrown together - didn't really appeal to me.  Which, honestly, is pretty strange.  I have never shied away from weird things all thrown together in one pot.  However, I have always been in control of the weird choices, maybe that was the difference.  I need to be the arbiter of weird, not some anonymous diner chef.

So here we are.  This is my offering to the breakfast gods - a very unsexy and a little weird, kitchen and pantry throw together hash.

White Bean Hash with Eggs
 
Ingredients:
 
1 onion  - chopped
2 medium carrots - chopped
1 tomatoes - diced
1 can cannellini beans - rinsed and drained
Eggs - fried

Directions:

Heat some oil in a large skillet and cook onions until they are soft, about 7 minutes.  Add the carrots and cook another 7 minutes.

 
 
Add the diced tomatoes and cover.  Cook for about 10 minutes.  You want the tomatoes to soften up and almost create a sauce.
 
 
 
Add the cannellini beans, cover, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Now come the eggs.
 
 
I decided to cook the eggs with the hash still in the skillet.  If you wanted, you could transfer the hash to a bowl and then cook your eggs.  This hash is enough for 4 servings.
 
 
See...not sexy.  But... it made for a great weekend breakfast.  The combination of the beans and the eggs made this dish quite filling. It was a nice break from my typical fruit and oatmeal.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment