Sunday, March 6, 2016

Pork Shepard's Pie

I feel confident stating we've all had experiences with Sheppard's Pie, that layered concoction of ground beef, mixed veggies, and mashed potatoes.  At its core, it's sort of amazing.  All the necessary food groups in a single dish, so if you are in a rush or not someone who likes getting crazy in the kitchen then it's perfect.  Brown some meat, move it into a 9x13, throw a bag or two of frozen mixed vegetables on top, finish with mashed potatoes.  I would even argue it's better to use the dehydrated flakes for this dish, which makes life that much simpler.  Pop it in the oven and 30 minutes later you have dinner. 

Most would say you shouldn't mess with perfection. So why mess with the basic Sheppard's Pie?  Well...because I can.  I had roasted a pork shoulder, which is maybe not the wisest choice when you are cooking for one.  You end up with POUNDS of pork in the fridge.  At that point you need to get creative with ways to use up a lot at once.  I stood in the middle of my kitchen and did a 360, evaluating everything I already had at my disposal... pork, about 3 pounds of potatoes, and an assortment of frozen and fresh vegetables....hmmmm.

It sounds like I have at least two thirds of a Sheppard's Pie, but can you really make it with pork as opposed to beef?  Do I dare?  I ask myself this as I stare at a mountain of pork.  Oh do I ever dare!

 
Pork Sheppard's Pie
 
Ingredients:
 
4 c. cooked pork shoulder - diced
4 Tbsp butter
3 carrots - diced
1 medium onion - diced
2 celery stalks - diced
1/4 c. flour
2 c. chicken stock
1 c. frozen mixed vegetables
3 lbs. Russet potatoes
1/2 c. sour cream
Milk and butter as needed for potatoes

Directions:

In are large skillet, melt butter and saute onions over medium heat until softened, about 7 minutes.  Add carrots and celery, saute for an additional 7 minutes.



Add the flour and mix until you have that pasty brown concoction in your pan. Add the stock and mix until that paste is dissolved.  Add the pork and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.



When ready, transfer to a 9 x 13 casserole dish.  Shake the cup of frozen vegetables over the top.  Now, we switch to the mashed potatoes.  Peel and quarter the potatoes. Boil until they are tender, drain, and put back in pot.  Add milk, butter, and sour cream then mash together.  You will have a lot of mashed potatoes.

At this point you could just dump all of the mashed potatoes on top of everything else in the casserole dish then pat down with the back of a spoon.  However, I'm a rather particular individual.  I wanted an even layer and I didn't want to get the frozen veggies mixed into the potatoes.  Therefore, I went the uber fussy route.  I placed spoonfuls of potatoes down, one at a time, and gently created a thin layer of potatoes.  Then I dumped the remaining potatoes on top and patted it all down to create a flat top.  I told you, I'm particular.... with a dash of fussy.


When you are ready, pop this bad boy into an oven that has been heated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Bake for 30 minutes. 



Hungry yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment