Sunday, January 24, 2016

Turkey Pot Pie with a Savory Biscuit Crust

We've been down the pot pie road before.  However, there is never a single way to do things (most of the time), especially when it comes to cooking.  We all have our flavor preferences.  We like using certain vegetables over others.  Therefore, I don't feel bad bringing the pot pie train back into the station.  Plus, there is one significant change in this recipe. We are going to rock the biscuit crust!

I couldn't resist the bonus deals on turkeys at the holidays so a ridiculously large 12 pound turkey sat in my freezer until I was ready to go turkey crazy for several weeks.  Now, I do realize that 12 pounds is actually small for a turkey.  It only become ridiculous when you are the only one in the house who is going to eat those 12 pounds...because you are the only one in the house.  After a couple of decades of being on my own, you would assume I would have mastered the art of cooking for one but, it's way more fun to cook as if I were cooking for a tiny army of a tiny country.  And you can't complain because that means you get to read about pot pie and biscuits and probably other turkey leftover concoctions fairly soon.

I hadn't made a pot pie in a while and it is an excellent way to get rid of a lot of poultry in a single shot.  However, I was not keen on the idea of making pie crust...just wasn't feelin' it this time around.  That makes the top choice biscuits, but not just any biscuits would do.  I wanted the biscuits to be a bit savory with the hope that it would enhance the overall flavor of the pot pie.  Mission accomplished I think.  The thyme and rosemary drop biscuits provide a nice boost when combined with the filling's creamy sauce.

Turkey Pot Pie with Savory Biscuit Crust

Ingredients:

Biscuits:

2 c. all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c. shortening
1 1/4 c. whole milk
1/2 Tbsp thyme
1/2 Tbsp rosemary

Filling:

2 white potatoes - peeled, diced, boiled and drained
1 medium onion - chopped
1 1/2 c. frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 c. celery -  chopped
1/3 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 c. whole milk
3 c. stock
4 c. turkey -  cooked and diced/chopped/shredded

Directions:

Preaheat oven to 425F.  Peel the potatoes and dice them up in to bite sized pieces.  Boil them until they are just soft enough to be pierced with a fork then drain and set aside.

Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat cook onions until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add celery and cook for an additional 7 minutes.  


Add the flour and mix thoroughly.  This will create a rather gross looking brown paste.  Don't be scared.  It all works out in the end.


Add the stock and milk.  Simmer until thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.


Once you are happy with the consistency give it a little taste test.  Add salt and pepper as you see fit then add the frozen vegetables, potatoes, and turkey.  Just as a small but important side note...add these new items very carefully.  I was using a 12" saute pan and everything fit but there was a harrowing moment where I was not sure it would.  Go slow to avoid a cream sauce typhoon.


Get this all solidly mixed together then transfer to a 9 x 13 casserole dish.  I went with my stoneware because she hadn't been experiencing the love recently and I decided it was time to rectify this egregious error.


Now to get crackin' on the biscuits.  Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  Then add the thyme and rosemary.  Using a pastry cutter, cut in the shortening.  Continue cutting in until everything gets nice and crumbly.  Mix in the milk until just moistened.  I'm using a bit more milk than would be considered traditional because I am making drop biscuits.  These will not be turned out and kneaded, rolled, and cut.  Instead, once mixed, you will drop them by the spoonful over the pot pie filling.



At no point will I claim I did this last step with any amount of precision.  I took a big spoon and dropped randomly sized dollops of dough as I saw fit.  When you are ready, bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes,  until the biscuits are golden brown.


These are one of the days where I wish scratch and sniff photography was a thing.  Sooooo good!


The rosemary comes out the most in the biscuits and the creamy pot pie filling is just comfort on a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment