Sunday, November 8, 2015

Loin of Pork Bologna Style

This cookbook never ceases to confuse.  I honestly do not believe that I would be exaggerating when I write that when everyone hears or sees the words "Bolognese sauce," they think hearty meat sauce with chunks of tomato.  Bolognese sauce, in my opinion, is a stick-to-your-ribs, perfect for a winter day, sauce that is meant to top any broad flat pasta.  No one thinks, "oh, milk." I'm face palming right now.  I'm face palming so much there is a bruise on my forehead.

But, BUT, I decided to give Maria Luisa the benefit of the doubt and I took to Google the way I always do in such confusing situations.  First, I googled the English title to her recipe.  I received some disheartening results all related to pork bologna... that overly processed pressed meat poser.  I immediately pictured a slice of bologna and a slice of a Kraft single between two slices of Wonder Bread, felt dirty, and had to shower.  Once I cleansed, I returned to the internet.  Maria Luisa's Italian translation only gave me the results I expected when I typed "Bolognese."  Every result was a different website and their version of a hearty meaty red sauce, the Bolognese we all recognize. 

I did not despair, however.  Even if Maria Luisa's names failed, there was still one more option - the literal description of what I was cooking.  I searched "pork loin in milk sauce" and finally found what I was looking for - confirmation that this recipe is actually a thing.  According to the Italian Kitchen Secrets, pork in milk sauce is a thing.  She writes that this was something she ate regularly growing up.  There are several other recipes for pork in milk sauce.  The themes running through those, which are sadly lacking in the version I now possess, would be herbs and fat.  The other recipes include garlic and rosemary.  One adds sage as well.  They all, also, require the use of whole milk.  Maria Luisa does not explicitly state what type of milk to use.  Maybe in 1955 there were no other options, but I could have benefited from some spelling out of the fat content.  So, once again, I have a good tasting meat with a sadly lacking sauce.  And, lest we forget, the idea that this recipe should be considered Bologna style is debatable.

Loin of Pork Bologna Style
Maiale al Latte alla Bolognese
Ingredients:
4 lbs lean pork loin
6 Tbsp butter
1 qt milk (use whole milk)
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Rub salt and pepper into the pork and let sit in the refrigerator for about 8 hours.  When ready to cook, melt butter in a large saucepan.  Brown the meat on all sides.

Add the milk and simmer, covered, for about an hour and a half.  Before you take it off the heat, check that its internal temperature is at least 145F. 

The sauce left in the pan should be a creamy consistency and Maria Luisa suggests adding white canned truffle to it then serving with the pork. The other recipes I found suggest cooking this a day ahead of time and serving cold.



I ate this the same night I cooked it (i.e. it was warm) and did not add the truffles.  The meat was nice and tender and did have a slight creamy taste from having been cooked in milk for over an hour.

I will say this for Maria Luisa, so far the majority of her recipes do not take much effort and include things most of us already have in the pantry or refrigerator.  If we do not already have the ingredients, it is just a quick trip to the store.  For anyone who prefers to keep things simple in the kitchen, these recipes should be very appealing.


No comments:

Post a Comment