Sunday, October 18, 2015

Salmon-Stuffed Tomatoes

Full disclosure...I did modify this recipe to make it more party app -esq.  It is in Maria Luisa's hors d'oeuvres section, but it calls for large tomatoes.  That would have been fine for a sit-down dinner first course.  However, these little nuggets were going to accompany me to a family reunion picnic so I went with campari tomatoes.  Campari tomatoes were a perfect choice because they are firm and can be quite meaty.  They are also large enough to be stuffed while remaining bite sized.

I also chose not to use her mayonnaise recipe.  Eventually, I will jump feet first into homemade mayo.  However, I decided not to risk exposing my entire family to salmonella.  I will allow Maria Luisa to teach me how to make mayonnaise when the only person consuming it will be me.  Once I am confident in my mayo-making skills, I'll force it onto others.

For about half a second I was deluded enough to think I would use fresh salmon.  Who was I kidding?  Not only would fresh salmon be cost prohibitive but, I don't have time for that nonsense.  It would need to be baked, skin removed, then shredded.  Can, can, can.  Though, as a little PSA, if you go the canned route, know what you are grabbing off the shelf.  Depending on the brand and style of canning, you might have to pick through and remove the bones.  I could provide some imagery to reinforce my suggestion, but I'm sure your own imagination is good enough.

In the end, all turned out well.  The stuffed tomatoes were well received, both in look and taste.  There is something about anything stuffed that immediately gets people interested.  It's like there is a secret treasure inside and everyone wants a chance to discover it.

Salmon-Stuffed Tomatoes
Pomodori Ripieni di Salmone


Ingredients:

4 pkgs. campari tomatoes
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 lb canned salmon - drained
4 Tbsp whipped sweet cream butter
3 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp. lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Directions:

Slice about a quarter of an inch off the top of the tomato and carefully scoop out the center.  Sprinkle the inside of each with salt, pepper, and vinegar.  Chill in the refrigerator for 45 minutes.  Turn them upside down for about 10 minutes to drain the juices that the seasoning has brought out of the tomato. 


While the tomatoes are chilling, prepare the filling.  Using an electric beater, combine the salmon, butter, mayonnaise, and lemon juice in a large bowl until thoroughly whipped.  Using a piping bag (or in my case, a zip lock bag with the end snipped off), fill each tomato just to the top.  Put back in the refrigerator until ready to serve.  This made 36 stuffed campari tomatoes.


My only complaint really came under her ingredient list.  She suggested using tuna as well.  Why call the recipe "salmon-stuffed" just to say salmon or tuna in the ingredient list!  Continuity people, is it too much to ask?  If she wanted to give a variety of options, this recipe should have just been called Stuffed Tomatoes.  Okay, end of rant.

Ending on a high note, these really were very tasty.  Whipping all the ingredients together created a nice light texture and the tomatoes remained firm throughout the picnic.  Well worth trying for your next get together

No comments:

Post a Comment