Sunday, August 9, 2015

Chocolate Nut Bark

I'm not really sure where the urge for nut bark came from but I found myself looking at a package of sunflower seeds wondering, do I keep munching on them or should I do something else with them?  Then it dawned on me...there is chocolate in the pantry!  Score!  I probably could have saved this for a few months from now when people are trying to decide how they can make a lot of Christmas presents for minimal cost and effort, but nah.  Maybe I'll do a fancier version or bust out a biscotti recipe for a "if you want to bake everyone's Christmas gift" post.  Have I ruined your August yet reminding you that holiday chaos and stressful gift shopping are just around the corner?  Sorry.

Back to my point...chocolate nut bark.  So easy, so tasty.  It is also great because really, you can make so many different combinations and they all taste fantastic.  Do a little dark chocolate with almonds and dried mango chunks.  How about milk chocolate with cashews and dried pineapple?  Maybe white chocolate with hazelnuts and dried cranberries is more your speed?  Either way, they are all made they same and it will take you 5 minutes of real effort and 30 minutes of waiting.  Howe great is that.

Today's offering is a very simple milk chocolate with almond slices and raw sunflower seeds...


Ingredients:

12 oz milk chocolate chips
1/4 c. almond slices
1/2 c. sunflower seeds

Directions:

In the microwave, using a large microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips. You can also melt the chocolate over the stove using a double boiler.  I took the microwave shortcut, heating the chips in 30 second intervals for a total of 2 minutes.  You do want to be check periodically because you do not want to burn the chocolate.

Place parchment paper onto a 9x13 inch baking sheet and spread out the melted chocolate.



Sprinkle the nuts on top and then mix into the chocolate.  Yes, it would be much easier to put the nuts into the bowl with the melted chocolate, mix it in the bowl, and then spread it onto the lined baking sheet.  I decided however, to not do this the easy way... go figure.


Place in the refrigerator to harden for 30 minutes.  Take it out and break it into chunks.


This might not be the prettiest thing ever created, but it is darn tasty.  I did mention before that these hunks of chocolaty goodness could be used as an easy gift.  Put a few pieces in a decorative cellophane bag with a cute bow and say "happy birthday" to your favorite chocolate lover.  Or, you can do what I do...greedily hide them in a corner of the kitchen so no one else but you gets to eat them. Whatever floats your boat as long as you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment