Sunday, June 21, 2015

Farmers Market Finds

As the summer weather begins to ramp up, so do the outdoor farmers markets.  I love shopping at these markets because not only am I supporting my local growers and producers, but I also get to be a bit more adventurous with my purchases.  Local growers, from my own personal experience, will offer items you would not find in your larger grocery stores.  You also get to meet the people growing your food and ask about the products they are offering.  I have walked away from the market with new produce to try and recipe suggestions... just what a cooking addict needs!


I went a couple of weeks ago to one market and walked away with a new type of celery to try.  I also picked up lunch - vegetarian nim chow.  The nim chow was amazing and I will soon be returning to that market for more.

 
 
This celery is a lot thinner than what you would pick up in the regular grocery store and it is a full tube as opposed to the u-shape most of us are probably used to.  I asked the farmer if the entire celery was edible and for preparation suggestions.  She told me I can eat everything, leaves included, and that many people use it in soup.  When I got it home, I decided to throw it raw into a salad.  I will never do that again.  It has such a strong flavor that eating it raw is honestly kind of gross.  The leaves are really bitter and the stalk has what I can only describe as a soapy flavor.  It is simply no good.  So, I gave it a day and gave some cooking options a thought.  The farmer had suggested soup and I had some Arborio rice in the fridge... see where I am going with this yet?
 
 


I decided to make some risotto, flavored with celery and scallions.

Ingredients:

1 scallion - sliced
1 stalk celery - sliced
2 c. stock (1 bullion cube dissolved in 2 c. boiling water)
2 c. water
1/2 c. white wine
1 c. Arborio rice
1 Tbsp oil

Directions:

Heat oil on medium in a large sauté pan.  Add scallions and celery and sauté until tender, approximately 7 minutes.  Add the rice, give it a couple stirs, then add the white wine.  Stirring occasionally, cook until the wine is completely absorbed.  This should take about 3 - 5 minutes.


At this point, incorporate the stock a half cup at a time and then incorporate the water a half cup at a time.  Each addition will take more time to absorb the farther into the cooking process you get.  The first half cup will take 3 - 5 minutes and the last could take up to 7 minutes.

In the end, you get a flavorful risotto that can be used as a side dish.  The celery held up well during the cooking process but, the long and slow cook broke down the flavor and allowed for the celery to come through. No bitterness in this recipe and it is definitely something I will make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment