Sunday, May 24, 2015

Chicken Curry

Can't lie on this one, I came up with this recipe completely on the fly (I put the recipe together as I walked around the grocery store and grabbed the ingredients!).  Why would I do such a crazy thing? A friend and I had gone to dinner and we both had used this restaurant's online menu to decide what we wanted to eat.  Unfortunately, they had recently changed their menu but did not update the website version, so my friend was looking forward to eating a curry that was no longer being offered (super annoying, super disappointing).  When she and a I got together at my house a couple of weeks later, I decided I would throw a curry together to make up for what became a rather sad restaurant excursion.

Normally, when I am about to make a dish for the very first time I will find a recipe that sounds good and follow it explicitly.  Once I am comfortable with the original and know how it should taste, then I get experimental.  However, after searching around on the internet for a bit I realized that curries are fairly easy to make and only require the most basic of ingredients.  Honestly, put together coconut milk, chicken stock, and curry powder and you have yourselves a curry sauce.  This may not satisfy the foodiest of foodies but will make you and your dinner guests happy and satisfied.  So, as I just wrote, I decided to throw caution to the wind and developed the recipe as I shopped.

Ingredients:

1 onion - sliced
olive oil
3 garlic cloves - minced
2 broccoli crowns
4 chicken thighs
1 can coconut milk
1/4 c. chicken stock
3 tsp curry powder
1 tsp partially dried basil
Zest of half a lime
Quinoa - follow cooking instructions on box

Directions:

In large saute pan heat olive and then add onions.  Cook over medium heat for about 7 minutes.  Add garlic and stir.  Add chicken stock, curry powder, lime zest, and basil.


 Add the broccoli and coconut milk (it may be semi-solid at first but will liquefy quickly).  Mix well.


Place chicken thighs, skin down, in pan and then add broccoli.



Cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, approximately 20 - 25 minutes.  Once ready, spoon over quinoa and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment