Sunday, March 1, 2015

Chicken soup with homemade stock

So, you've made a wonderful Greek Turkey Chicken and now you have a beautiful carcass leftover.  What do you do with it?  You make stock of course!  Stock is one of those kitchen adventures that is really simple to make but requires you have the time to make it.  But if you do, then you have quarts of broth ready for soup and pot pie or additional flavoring for stuffing and gravy.  In my humble opinion, it's worth the effort.

For stock:

1 chicken carcass
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
1 medium yellow onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. peppercorns
20 springs of parsley
5 springs of thyme
3 garlic cloves
Enough water to cover the carcass


Put everything into a stock pot large enough that the water will not boil over.  Bring it to a rapid boil then reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer for at least 4 hours, occasionally skimming off fat.  After 4 hours begin to test the broth, it's finished when you decide it tastes they way you like it.  Strain stock.  Use immediately or freeze for later.



I set aside some of my stock for use in a pot pie I made later that day.  Some went into my freezer.  The rest I used for chicken soup.  I am not much for wasting food and the vegetables still had enough of their flavor and consistency so I chopped up the carrots, celery, and onion and put it all back in the stock.  I then added about 1 pound of shredded chicken and 1 cup of orzo.  I brought the soup to a boil and cooked the soup just long enough to cook the Orzo - 10 minutes.  I'm a little in love with orzo, but be careful.  When it is left in liquid it will continue to expand.  If you use too much you'll end up with a weird pasta concoction versus soup for several days.  Not that the weird pasta concoction isn't tasty, it's just not soup, and we want soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment